You Should Sleep Now, You’ve Got Another Hour

Abigail Martinez

Would you rather sleep or feel stressed in the morning?

Would you believe me if I told you that over 70% of high school students don’t get enough sleep? This could be because schools start so early in the morning, and most students usually stay up later in the night. This is one of the reasons why I believe schools should have later start times.

Multiple studies have shown that when schools push back the starting times, the amount of sleep students get increases. Because of this, students had better focus throughout the day and were shown to have improved their performance in school. As said in the journal Science Advances, “The study also showed that starting the school day a bit later was linked to improved academic performance.”

As someone who is not a morning person, having the starting times be pushed by at least an hour sounds absolutely terrific- especially when you think about how students, high schoolers specifically, make it their mission to stay up late into the night, though this could be because of the amount of homework they have to complete. Having later start times can help with improved academic performances, but also assist with attendance and reduced tardiness.

An experiment done had shown that tardiness and absences in the first period classes dropped when the starting times were pushed back. In the Everyday Health article, it states that “both tardiness and first-period absences dropped in that school, so that the levels matched those of the other more affluent high schools in the study.” Pushing back the times can allow students more time to get ready rather than waking up and realizing they might be late to catch the bus.

Personally speaking, if I had more time to get ready, I think I would be able to get to school on time and not have to worry if I had any time to grab breakfast. Even though there are perks to pushing back the school starting times, there are other major disadvantages that can come with it.

While I believe times should be pushed back, I understand that for some high schoolers who have younger siblings or work, it can be difficult to adjust to new times. If the students who have younger siblings they must take care of end later than their siblings, then that’s something that would have to be taken into account. There could be ways to combat this problem, such as pushing back starting times only and keeping ending times the same.

There are also issues that surround parents who drop off their kids. As sophomore teacher Charles Rosentel pointed out, “Let’s say you have one student who goes to school and starts at 7:45 a.m. and then you have another student who goes to school at 9 a.m. and you have to get to work at 8 a.m.” This poses a situation for the parent that can be difficult to adjust to.

In conclusion, I believe that schools should consider having later start times because it could improve students’ attendance, reduce tardiness, and have students more well rested.

Should schools have a later start?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.